Meet: Miss Betsy {1 of 1) Wire Sculpture

This week I have been working on a "create something" for a class I go to on Thursday nights.  A while back I did a swap on one of the Yahoo Groups that was to be an altered art spoon and I did one similar to the one below....but yet different.  I like one of a kind items vs someone who has/does only one thing.  Just my personal preference and I am sure there are those who think differently....  I really enjoy working with wire, twisting and turning...embellishing, trying some new "things", gathering bits and pieces,  and then the actual putting it together, rearrainging, changing ones' mind, a mistake that ends up being a neat thing when worked into the design.  I already know there will be another....

Wicker base:        Frame from thrift store
Mirror:                               ??  Check out a department type store for the beveled endged bases that I think can be found in the candle section.
Wire:                     Different Guages  (Loews)
Crystal flatback sequins:     JoAnnes
Head and body of dragonfly and the bee on the headpin in the water and within the rocks:  Buttons I sell on Etsy
Flat etched sea glass:  (Waterfall/pond) Joannes in the artifical flower area.
Base:                      Vintage Teaspoon  (Etsy Vendor)
Glue:                       E6000  Glass and Jewelry Glue (Works GREAT)
Wings:                    The pale purple wings are done with Gallery Glass (I LOVE this stuff) in purple and White Frost (I wish I would have used just the plain Clear with a little bit of purple) and spread onto an acrylic texture tile that I believe is called Frost (I haven't seen this item in years)....  Once dry I glued pieces onto the tops of the winds as tightly as I could and let dry.  Then I went back with small sharp sissors and cut around the wings...this is the easy way to achieve a clean perfect fit.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK YOUR LOCAL DOLLAR STORES FOR A FRAME, MIRROR,
WIRE, SEA GLASS, ETC.  I have seen these items there but soemtimes it is hit and miss with their items and they are not regular stock...

I pick up items when I see them and it could be months or years before I use them.... I especially pick up things I haven't seen before, or I might pick by color or shape and broken doesn't even bother me because if it intrigues me I will make it work somewhere along the line....  

The wire I am using is 18 guage tin/copper....and I have NO IDEA where I bought it but I am out so if I find a source....I will come back and add it.  This gauge works well because you can bend it with your fingers...and if you warm the wire with your fingers you can gets some nice rounded curves if this is the effect you are looking for.  I have also found it is a pretty substantial base for the size pieces I have been doing to give a good foundation for the "freeform" when you begin to create....just start and the rest ... just seems to fall into place believe it or not.

Tonight I started another sculpture (out of wire) and I used an inexpensive teaspoon for the base and I pretty much covered the spoon with wire and then created forms.....I am not sure where I want to go next so I have put it down to rest and look at......  I just saw that I have some clear wire out to look at for this piece so I kinda/sorta think I know where this one is going...but we will see.   

As for tools I would sugges a big pair of toenail clippers, flat nose jewelry pliers, round jewelry pliers,
jewelry snips for cutting wire, and once you get going on YOUR piece  you will be finding your own little special tools.....

Go to Pinterest and put in Wire Sculptures ....  so MANY ideas will pop forth to inspire your own pieces.....  one of a kind art....Kinda neat after tracing others work.....this is fun to art my own stuff....


I wonder what my next one will look like...or maybe it won't even BE a dragonfly...

So gather your supplies and make yourself one,  or as a gift for a special friend.


MEET MISS BETSY:









No comments:

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.