SESSION I. Photo, snow, mountain, sky, fog and Painting?

Copyright  10-2013    Diana Putnam

Headed towards Sisters which is due West of Bend......  BRRRRR but BEAUTIFUL.  Winter,
at least in the past....tends to be dry...  so it is a good time of year for me healthwise.

I have a new winter painting  "in progress" but it won't necessarily "look" like this.  Photos just help me with colors, angles, a detail or two, cloud formations, haze/fog, depth....so many things come through in a picture.



WHAT WORKS FOR ME:


My FAVORITE color to use for winter skies, mountains, snow, etc. is PAYNES GREY and is one of my palette colors.   I brush mix with Antique White and will sometimes add yellow, red, or orange  for sunrise/sunset.  
 

I use smaller than normal brushes and most generally will do x strokes randomly to the horizon line,  sometimes blending...sometimes not.   I also like using dry brushes for skys using small amounts of paint in an up and down circular motion.   Choppier strokes that are not blended well with give the appearance of wind, breeze, motion in the sky.  


With both techniques/brushes I use a towel to wipe off excess paint....not very often do I wash my brush... 

My touch is light...I don't use very much pressure with the brush... and I prefer soft bristles.  If you are new to my blog....my favorite brushes are Black Gold/Dynasty brushes and my favorite canvas' are handmade portrait grade canvas boards....
One of my favorite "accents" in as many paintings as possible is the use of Americana Glamour Dust Paints...I thought they would be the same as applying clear over the color...but there is a big difference....Just the right amount of glitter is in a bottle...and it is IMHO totally awesome in winter paintings....  There are many times when you go out in the winter and breathe in and you can feel the ice crystals in hour nose..... and if the light hits just right....oh my goodness....the sparkle, the magic.
The fog that sometimes accompanies snow.... the low clouds, etc.  As you add the details the painting just seems to come alive, a shiver of cold....

I do clouds/fog in winter especially using the dry brush in a circular motion.... and I wipe nearly ALL of the paint off my brush on the towel....and I work from the inside to the outside with just  the lightest of touches..... With fog I work from the center out....in the darkest light area that needs the color more...
reducing pressure even more when at any of the edges of a cloud/mist, etc.

Also the sky color should be the darkest at the top, right and left with the center "area of interest" being the lightest......  And look at clouds for the silver lining that is in some cloud formations....   Maybe some time along the blogline I will remember to show you how to do a silver lining...thanks to the wonderful teachings of Jerry Yarnell.... If anyone EVER gets a chance to attend one of his seminars/classes do not hesitate...he is one of the best teachers I have come across...  I have learned so much from this Artist.

SO...try some Paynes Grey and Antique White... (I use Liquitex and I have noticed that there is a big different in this color between brands ie:  Americana, Traditions, Delta.  So if you are going for "color"
I would use Liquitex...

ENJOY.




No comments:

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.