Art Show

This morning my daughter and I went to a fantastic art show/faire along the banks of the Deshutes River here in Bend.

It was HOT, HUMID, and SMOKY, and most of the vendors as well as the "viewers" had
thrown off sandals and were walking in the cool, plush grass to find some relief at  least fo rour feet.

Every year they have this particular Artist Faire and I love going.  The turn out this year was awesome...and people appeared to be buying and enjoying.  What really stood out for me was the interaction between people, the laughter, and the amount of art that was whimsical...notice I did not say cutsey...  To me there is a big difference.
The one photographer artist and the metal sculpture artist were getting a lot of positive feedback from the crowd....and they were loving what they were seeing.  It
seemed good to see the freshness in art...  I do not believe that there was an artist
there who was doing fine art.  I believe it is getting to the "point" where people may want their art to be more of a reflection of "who they are", what they find humorous,
and love to see the mix of materials and creativity by the artist.   There is sure individuality and to recreate is almost impossible...much of the art that was displayed was truly one of a kind.  And the men, what a surprise to hear them talking excitedly with their wife or companion regarding the altered art pieces...they were loving it.  There was laughter and not that hushed silence that we remember from art galleries of yesteryear...the stiff, ridgid art.  

The Art Galleries here in Bend are on fire....but once again the art is very different and new artists are on board as well as artists who have bent with the time, the era, the demands of the buyers.  Giclees still seem to be popular but I have heard that they are also on the way out.  People want originals.  They want small, and lower prices.  They want pieces that are eclectic and will blend rather than art that is trendy.
 

This year I purchased a couple of pieces "for me" whereas I am usually buying Christmas gifts for "others".  One piece is a mixed media (Rooster for my kitchen) painting and the other is a photograph that could be described several different ways.  I see it as a form of steampunk, another would say it was political, and some identify with what is being done, so they are very versatile pieces.  Both of the pieces that I purchased came matted so I am anxious to find frames and get them up down here in my studio.  Both are unusual in size so I will have to either make a frame or find one at Michaels as they carry odd sizes in one section of the store.  This is another difference.  Art is not being seen as "framed art".  I saw gallery canvas but art that people could purchase and frame as "they" want rather than having the added expense of a frame that they don't really care for, doesn't go with the wood in their home, or possibly they prefer displaying on an easel. 

I did purchase a birthday gift for my husband to put along our pond/waterfall.  A piece of mixed media metal sculpture of a "road runner"  (using "tools")  and those who know my hubby know why this applies perfectly.  lol.

I also enjoyed observing the "observers" and artists' dress as it is eclectic and just as
exciting as the vendors art.  This year was no exception.  Most of the colors were
muted mauves, purples, and grey.... along with neon green being seen a lot.  Clothes
were loose fitting and comfy.....YIPPEE......

I thought it would be fun to share these artists with you my blogging friends as you sit in the comfort of your own home.  I have noticed that a couple of the vendors also have an Etsy site which is exciting..........

I was surprised to see no steampunk jewelry.  I hope it is not on its way out....It has been around for about 4 years and is nothing new....but maybe there are just not many designing along this venue of jewelry.  Most of the elements that are used are found items, repurposed and different so most of the buying is not done so much from a retail vendor but from garage and estate sales, thrift and antique stores, Etsy and using items not generally being seen used as a jewelry component. 

www.KamalaDolphinKingsley.com

www.Baggettastudio.com

www.Vickifish.com

www.kaseberg.com

www.jhurlbert.com

No comments:

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.