Mushroom Update...

Today when we were outside we noticed that we have two more groupings of mushrooms coming up in the gravel of our
drive.

Barb, our next door neighbor knows a lot about plants, bushes, trees, etc. so she came over and told us that the mushrooms are Shaggy Mane and that they are not poisonous, and in fact can be eaten. I like mushrooms but I think that I will "pass" on trying these.

Some information I found from the computer is: "Shaggy Mane mushrooms (copinus conatus) is a very common, visually distintive mushroom with a really nice flavor. It is quite popular, and is amoung the four mushrooms listed back in 1943 as "the fool proof four". The Shaggy Mane mushroom's most salient hallmarks are the bulletlike shape of the cap, which is covered with delicate white scales. One cannot handle the Shaggy Mane mushroom without getting bits of these white scales on the hands. The mushrooms cap "melts" into an inky black goo, starting at the edge of the cap. The Shaggy Mane mushroom fruits on the ground, primarily on lawns but even on bare ground...it has even been known to push up through gravel, hard packed soil or old pavement. Its season runs from spring through autumn".

See below for photos I took of the mushrooms growing in our lawn...and my stepson in Pennsylvania had the same mushrooms growing in his yard.


1 comment:

  1. I think the mushrooms are trying to move in! Maybe they are huddled together applying for work visas.

    I wouldn't eat one either.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.