Winter Bridge Design Painting

The photo is my finished painting using Acrylic paints vs oils.









I love this design artists' work and have been wanting to try some of her designs. She paints using oils and Bob Ross techniques so I knew that I was going to have to do some changes in colors as I went along: brush changes, etc. I love her "style" of painting and her design choices. Her techniques provide very realistic atmospheric paintings which are rewarding for myself and others as there is dimension, effect etc. rather than just flat final projects that I see with other landscape scenery design artists.

This particular design was in the December 2008 Quick and Easy Painting magazine and the artist is Patricia Reichenbach. She has had other designs published in Quick and Easy as well as PaintWorks so is a regular contributor/acceptee.

I used the Americana Decoart line of paints using Violet Haze, Forest Green, Baby Blue, Winter Blue, Sapphire, Fawn, Green Mist, Titanium White, Raw Sienna and Burnt Umber. Whoops,
forgot one of my favorite sky colors. Highlight Flesh which was
used here and there in the sky area. Do not overblend or you will
get mud and loose the color.

My brushes of choice for this particular painting was DD Paper 1/2 Scruffy , Debbie Mitchell Stipplers 1/2 and 1/4, Black Gold #4 Flat, Black Gold Micron Mini 15/o X long Detailer, and Black Gold 1/2 Angle. I painted the whole design with the exception of the tree, tree trunks and bridge detailing with the DD 1/2 Scruffy.
My only fault with the DD brush was the usual bristle loss while painting and having to go back with tweezers to remove the dried hairs. I was totally satisfied with what the brush provided to me so I am hoping that all the loose hairs are "out". I must have picked this particular brush up on clearance because it was a stiff bristle brush and a different "shape" as I do not purchase any of her line of brushes even when doing multiload techniques. I use the Dynasty Black Gold line of brushes. Being a hog hair bristle brush it worked great on the canvas board which was my surface choice for this particular piece. (Size was 9 x 12)

I also used Jo Sonja Retarder/Extender so that I had more open time when doing the cold, foggy, effect that was the main atmosphere of this painting. Atmosphere gives a painting so much more character and is so rewarding. When painting I used circular strokes rather than vertical to get the effect that Patricia had acomplished in her piece.

The only real change I made with the design was to do a reflected shadow on the left side of pine tree to the left of the design to add even more dimension to the piece and I was pleased with the result.

Now I have to go back through my magazines and "recover" the other designs she has done and make plans for another delightful learning, painting experience.

The next step is to find a matt and frame to complete this piece.

Thanks Patricia for such a wonderful "learning" design and I hope this helps those who are wanting to try the gorgeous design in acrylics.

No comments:

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.