Painterly Style

Some people regard an expressive or painterly style to be less than finished. But it's not a style of painting where the end result is smooth and glossy like a photograph. It's a style which celebrates the materials made to create it: paint and a brush. The result only a painter could produce.

When I paint a landscape/scenery I love the way the impressionistic style finishes. A photograph is a photograph...and I see many painters who's finished work looks just like this....a photograph and that is not what I am out to achieve. It is not a matter of right or wrong but a matter of personal preference/technique/style, etc. I think this is why I use slip slap strokes when I paint as often as I can because I feel the mixture
of the colors provides the interest I am looking for....and a more realistic painting vs smooth and sleek.

No comments:

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.