Mega Silicone Mold Material

I had never used molding compound until I decided to purchase some, try it out and decide if it was an item others might be looking for, wanting to try, or just an artistic adventure...   Since I sell it in my Etsy store ... it passed my personal approval.   It is quite the artists' tool.  Especially if you are interested in collage with dimension, texture and art that is a totally different art form that what we have been used to seeing or even trying to understand the concept behind the finished piece,,,,the story that goes with it.  Sometimes just as interesting as the art piece itself.

The molding compound comes as 2 parts.  Blue in one jar and White in the other.  You use equal amounts of both to activate the chemical components to "set" and harden and yet still be flexible and pliable without distorting.

There are probably many different molding brands out there and I am not saying that the one I sell is the best because I haven't tried any of the others.  I was fortunate to get the results I was after with this product....at least at this stage in my artistic journey....  It is easy to use, the results are good, and I get a sense of personal satisfaction from creating a mold of something and I DO NOT strive to achieve perfection...if there are flaws here and there....so be it.  This is handmade....

I decided to post a photo of the Mold medium as I am using it in the project I am working on right now.  Please believe me when I say I doubt VERY much if what I am showing will be anything like what the finished piece will look like...sometimes art "grows" in color, texture, size, components, etc. and I just never know...and that is part of the mysterious journey of intuitive art.  You know you are going somewhere.....but you have NO idea where you will end up....and that is fun.

Photo #1 shows my model.....
Photo #2 is the 2 part molding compound.
Photo #3 shows the mold I made
Photo #4 is my face using the mold and Sculpty light modeling clay  I didn't want the total face area I just wanted a portion of my models....
Photo #5 working into the intuitive piece.  My background colors are acrylic on heavy watercolor paper upon which I did a pour.  It is going to be my background for this piece.

I love the look of the colored foils so I have already used some on the face and on the background piece itself where there was an area what wasn't very attractive at all...an eyesore of sorts that now is acceptable to me and not sticking out like a sore thumb and screaming at me.   A creation using techniques,  color, tools, products, materials, texture, embellishments, balance, form, composition,  etc.   and allowing myself to go where I am led and not question why...and then using my intuition to enhance or remove.

Regarding the Silicone Mold Material:

I would wipe down your mold piece.
You mix equal parts of Blue and White molding compound together until it all becomes one color
Apply mold material to your "model" or piece you are wanting to make a mold of
Let it set ... about 15 minutes or so....depends on weather conditions.  You will know when it has cured enough to remove.
My only advice is to apply the molding compound thick enough enough so that it doesn't tear ...and holds up for more than just a single use.   I have a thin area in my mold that may create a problem down the road if I use it too many times and am not careful.

When your clay piece is cooled and you are ready to use check to see if there are any rough areas that need a bit of sanding down...blemishes from the mold, etc.

Fill your set mold with clay and move around, then press for detail.  Peel back your mold.  material.  The clay item is now ready to be baked.  For this mold I wanted it to be curved so I used cotton inside to form the face the way I wanted it.
I am using acrylic paint on the baked and cured polymer clay piece and have also added some foil.  Have NO idea what the piece will look like finished......





No comments:

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.