Intuitive Art


I have always been a cloud watcher and loved to find things "hidden" within the cloud shapes
 ( photos in the sky)  and watch them stretch and change shape, form and sometimes even color.  That no one else saw what I saw didn't bother me...just made it more special.......so this has to be why intuitive art has come to appeal to me.

I took a class in Touch Drawing more as a favor and support for the teacher because I was unknowing and this always makes me nervous and stressful.  I am not in control and the outcome which is the important thing is in my hands to handle ... but I walked away with a lot of different beliefs ...  or maybe it was more a realization that there were others who had some of the same thoughts I had.  The process was amazing...

Next was an intuitive painting class (online).  Once again I had no idea what was going to transpire, what to look for,  etc. etc. etc.  and I ended up with a big black blob..... but I am not a quitter....this was a challenge now so I made a few changes to adapt to my style of painting.  I downsized my canvas considerably, I used brushes vs my hands and fingers but I knew it would be OK,,,, changed the gold background to silver, and chose the colors I wanted to use.  I used the different techniques that I had learned from the class or had "picked up" along the way and began.   What you see here has been accomplished just by adding colors of paint here and there, dripping paint down the canvas, glazing mediums, sealer, more colors, etc. etc.  I think that what I have shown here is about 4-5 layers of paint applications added randomly with no "planning" whatsoever ....  In the class we were to be geared toward a gypsy or woman and I guess my stubborness jumped out and said no....I want to paint what comes out.....I can hope I get what you want but I just didn't want to commit to something that was going to be out of my control....so I would do the class but it was going to have to be done my way which was what was comfortable to me...leaving everything pretty much to the process...and not bring anything out until I could "see it"....and if it wasn't what was expected it meant that was not in me to do......

I have also discovered that you have to continually turn the canvas to look for something happening....and it depends on if you are close to or away from the canvas viewing what you see or don't see, and light plays a big part into the visual aspect.    I have to make myself a cheat sheet of whether a color is transparent or opaque so I don't have to continually "test" the colors.

I am pretty sure I am now ready to bring out the design that has been formed...I can pretty much "see it" so I need to begin bringing it out.....and pushing behind....  I will take photos as I progress in the hopes that this is going to "work" and you will be able to see what I see.....

Next fear stage.  Can I bring it out?  Oeewwww boyyee.....

It is an interesting process....and is most definitely about "letting go"... and that is a tough spiritual concept to grasp let along apply to life events.    Letting go and allowing .....  with faith that everything will work out the way it should...  I have been procrastinating the next stage of the painting but I have to make a commitment and "go for it" or I will just remain stuck in the muck.  Any change (right or wrong) is at least going to get me unstuck....and I will learn or achieve and either has to be better than where things are right now....  (This has also strongly applied to my personal life situations.   I was stuck and I had to make a change one way or the other to move on.)
I also have learned that the mind and the heart have to be in agreement .....  this is when you know you are headed in the right direction....you can feel the rightness.  It may just be the first of many moves of progression but at least it is a move...a change.

I am using Liquitex paints because they are so much thicker than the craft paints,  some Golden colors,  alcohol,  glazing medium and sealer between some of the layers and silver dust.
I am using greens, blues,  soft white,  purples and teals in paint colors so far but I am sure that other colors will be brought in somewhere along the line.  If you are going to try some intuitive painting and are a decorative painter  I would definitely advise using Folk Art paints as they are thicker and richer in color.  (Ceramcoat and Americana.... just do not work well when doing this type of painting... and to use them could very easily result in the process failure).

With intuitive painting; if you pay attention, you will discover a lot about yourself....good and bad.. and it is really beneficial to journal during the panting process....in fact I would say it is almost imperative to journal or recount what you learn as you paint because it goes much deeper than paint on canvas.



No comments:

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.