Prayer Shawls

I have been trying for a little over a year to find either a knit or crochet pattern for what I call a sleeve shawl.  Finallya about a week ago I found what I was looking for in a book called Prayer Shawls and tonight I was able to get started.


I had heard of Prayer Shawls but what I thought they were was not really close to what they are.


Here is what the book I purchased has to say about them...


" When stitching a prayer shawl, crocheters petition God with every stitch they make on behalf of the person who will receive the shawl.  The petitions are continued throughout the creation of the shawl.  Upon completion, a final blessing is offered before the shawl is given.  


If the recipient of the shawl is known, the crocheter can pray specifically for the recipient's needs,  for the concerns of the family and friends and for the circumstances.  In some cases, if the person is unknown, simply petition God on behalf of the unknown recipient to provide comfort, fill a need or bless the person.    


Once you begin to stitch the shawl, think about the recipient and how much you love and care for him or her.  Give thanks that you have been blessed with the talent to make a gift that will give another comfort, warmth and joy.  With each stitch you make continue to pray for the needs of that person and ask God to bless the person.  


Upon completion you may want to create  a tag or card, and write a prayer or blessing on it.  Some include this card...." May God's grace be upon this shawl, warming, comforting, enfolding, and embracing.  May this shawl be a safe haven, a sacred place of security and well-being, sustaining and embracing in good times and in difficult times.  May the one who receives this shawl be cradled in hope, kept in joy, graced with peaces and wrapped in love".  The card is signed and dated on the back by the individual who stitched it."


We think you will find the ministry of making a prayer shawl blesses not only the recipient, but the stitcher as well."


I find this such a neat idea that once I finish the one for me,,,,and know that the pattern "works" 
(some don't, as I have discovered in the past) I will be making additional shawls to be given away to people who are important in my life  and/or someone who might really need the comfort of a prayer shawl.   I was so impressed I thought it was worth sharing with others who might not know (as I didn't) what a prayer shawl is and how to make one.  I am anxious now to complete mine and decide who will be the recipient of the next one I make.



I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.