Perfect Hand Lettering with Deli Paper Courtesy of Kari McKnight Holbrook



I sell deli paper in my easy shoppe and it has been selling like hotcakes and I thought I would share one of the artists' ways of working with this versatile "out of the box" supply.    Right now I only sell one size but it comes in several .....   I am anxious to give this technique a try....  I don't know about you but I have SEVERAL different small quotes that would be awesome on a canvas, with some type of background color to make things really POP........

So enjoy.


What's so great about Deli Paper?

Deli Paper is the hottest non-art art supply going right now.

It stands up to liquid media.  Paint, ink, gel medium, etc.  You can use deli paper as a palette and you can print and write on it too.  Either way, the liquid stays put, it isn't waxed, so the liquid won't bead up.

Deli paper is stiffer than tissue paper, but still pliable.  When you stamp, print, or roll excess paint onto deli paper, it doesn't collapse and stick to itself.  It pretty much stays in a nice, flat sheet that you can use later.

Gel medium turns deli paper transparent.  After you've painted, printed, lettered, etc. on the deli paper and it's dry, you can glue it to a background with gel medium and the papers will "disappear" leaving just the image or design visible.

To me, the very best use of deli paper is for adding lettering or a sketch to a background.  Who among us hasn't carefully added letters,  a name,  a quotes, etc.  to a piece of art only to discover a misspelling or you really wish you'd placed the words a little to the right, or whatever?

You can avoid mistakes like these by using deli paper.  I learned this letter trick from Kari McKnight-Holbrook via her video tutorial, Backgrounds to Bindings, Beautiful Handmade Books and Art Journals.

1.  Draw your sketch or write out your quote onto a sheet of deli paper.
2.  When you have everything just as you want it, cut or tear sound the quote or image and place it on your background.  Move the paper around so you can decide exactly where you want it.
3.  Spread a thin coat of gel medium onto the background and place the deli paper on it, smoothing it out over the medium.

Now you have perfect lettering in the perfect place, brought to you by the miracle of deli paper.

These bottom two photos with the quotes show the technique.  I hand tore around the quote and then used gloss Gel Medium (Matisse, because this is what I had) and adhered it using the above method to a canvas purchased at JoAnnes.  I am going to try the same technique again and try hand painting the background first....  I used a Micron pen on the deli paper and got NO SMEARING, or
BLEEDING.....  I also want to try it on colored card stock.  I am definitely pleased wit the result....especially because writing on canvas directly is BUMPY and this way with deli paper it looks so much more professional....




I don't like it a bit on a painted background but I think I am REALLY going to like the effect inside a
greeting card.......and instead of "tearing" I am going to use decorative scissors (that cut with a design) or one of the Edger punches you can buy......THAT I think will look really nice and with the different colored Micron pens we can choose the ink color.....  My cards are down on my work table and will be so much fun to "play" with.....


No comments:

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS

I LOVE FREEZIN' FOG DAYS
Freezing fog on a pine tree bough.